SCW understands the value that employing armed forces workers can bring, for both an organisation and the individual, and SCW supports workers leaving the armed forces to find work in the NHS.
In 2017 SCW pledged to support the Step into Health programme. This initiative was developed by The Royal Foundation along with Walking with the Wounded and NHS Employers. Following this, SCW has recently signed the Armed Forces Covenant. This reflects SCWs commitment to the wider armed forces agenda and both representing a promise that those who serve or have served, and their families, are treated fairly.
Representatives from SCW were recently invited to talk to HRH Duke of Cambridge about our work, SCW also has an armed forces group made up of ambassadors who are helping to develop guidance and initiatives that support armed forces workers, including service leavers, veterans, reservists and forces family members, to come and work in SCW. Some of the initiatives under development include:
- An enhanced armed forces section of our careers site. This will include guidance to help armed forces workers understand where the skills best fit in SCW.
- A dedicated armed forces section for managers on our ConsultHR portal. This will include guidance on how to interpret military CVs and also information on military culture.
- Armed forces service leavers and veterans who join SCW will be linked in to a network of ex-forces workers who are currently within SCW.
- We are also looking at how we can better support wounded, injured and sick candidates.
- We have a number of people who have partners or family members currently serving in the armed forces. We are currently reviewing SCW policies to understand how we can better support this group.
How the programme works
Support will be given to managers to help them understand military applications, your experiences, cultural differences and transferable skills and the mapping of your qualifications. Forces candidates apply through the same route as all applicants for our roles using NHS Jobs page here.
Our managers score applications based on the supporting information section. You have a max of 1500 words here to meet the person specification for the role. Do include examples for each criteria under the three sections; education, knowledge and experience and skills and capabilities. Do match requirements of the role against your previous positions or posts you have held within your forces career, or other educational environments, workplaces or volunteering. Please keep an eye on our website as our forces offer grows and our vacancies are advertised. If you have ANY questions regarding the role, please contact the manager listed on the advert.
Helping your application
To help you with your application we have developed a handy guide covering the application process, showing you what you need to consider when applying, how the process works and further sources of help and advice. You can access it below.