We found NHS South, Central and West Commissioning Support Unit made delivery of our appraisal training run smoothly and to plan. The team were professional and helpful, the feedback from delegates on the quality of training was excellent.Steve Locke, BNSSG Training Hub Programme Manager
Delegate feedback: "Intelligent and thoughtful information", "Good content, well delivered", "Very enjoyable course, very Interactive and informative".
Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire CCG (BNSSG) had identified a need to improve the quality of appraisals across its Primary Care services with a focus on non-clinical staff such as Practice Managers. The requirement was to develop bespoke paperwork and guidance accompanied by a programme of training and staff development. The BNSSG training hub commissioned SCW to deliver this and make it available to the 100 or so practices in their patch.
Working collaboratively with the training hub and practices we identified the current process and the challenges it encountered. We delivered the following solutions:
- An Appraisal Guidance document: a comprehensive guide outlining the key elements of an appraisal, the process, and providing copies of template forms and a sample competency framework
- Summary Guidance: a quick, two slide, reference to delivering an appraisal
- Face to Face training: a full day of interactive training and development covering all key aspects and skills required to conduct effective appraisals
- Webinars: two, one hour webinars covering appraisal essentials and managing challenging conversations
- Delivered standardised appraisal documentation and accompanying guidance based on latest best practice evidence.
- Staff, particularly GPs and Senior Partners more capable and confident of conducting staff appraisals.
- Solutions flexible and adaptable to a range of settings across NHS, public sector and wider and easy to combine with other SCW products such as talent management and competency frameworks.