NHSE/I’s National Children and Young People’s Mental Health (CYPMH) Programme Team commissioned SCW to develop a demand and capacity tool to support systems when making commissioning decisions. The tool was to be accessible, and so was developed as a cloud-based product.
The planning tool was developed in 2015, in conjunction with another consultancy firm, specialising in economic modelling. NHSE/I continued to commission a support desk function from SCW, however noted that activity on the tool had slowed considerably since it’s initial launch. In 2018, NHSE/I approached SCW with the challenge to increase awareness of, and activity within the tool. In addition there was a desire to modernise the platform to reflect the changes in technology.
- A system wide modelling tool; the ability to model a whole system pathway and make informed commissioning decisions from the outputs
- Evidence-based demand and capacity modelling; the tool was developed on the mathematical principles of queuing theory
- Engagement and training events; multiple events held across the country to promote awareness and provide training
- Online resources; dedicated website created for the planning tool, containing multiple video tutorials and FAQs to support users
- Development expertise; a dedicated development focus group put in place and development plan initiated to improve the user experience
- Support desk function; support team available to respond to user queries
- Hosting and maintenance; SCW continue to host the planning tool and undertake essential maintenance
- Project reporting; Detailed project reports outlining all aspects of the work being undertaken including user activity levels, change logs and engagement updates
The planning tool was referenced as a recommended resource within the Mental Health Long Term Plan Implementation Framework
- Within the KLOEs for the recent refresh of Local Transformation Plans systems were asked if they had used the tool when modelling and reviewing their current MH provision, and when planning their investment across the whole system pathway
- Embedded use of the planning tool within several 4-week-waiting time pilot sites across London
- Increase in user activity of more than 450%
- A clear development, and subsequent engagement, strategy in place and underway
The tool can be accessed at https://cypmh.scwcsu.nhs.uk/