"I see it as an enabling tool, in terms of selling its use with providers that’s very important” - NHS England
SCW, in partnership with Healthcare Decisions Ltd and Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust, were commissioned by NHS England in October 2014 to develop a Strategic Dynamic Modelling Tool (SDMT) to support planning within commissioning of Children and Young People’s Mental Health Services (CYPMH). The tool is designed to enable a ‘whole system’ view, irrespective of the commissioning / funding route, the setting or the provider.
The SDMT addresses a critical need in CYPMH services for commissioners and their partners across health and care communities to take a system-wide overview of local need and services, and support decision-making to improve services efficiently. It directly supports the recommendations of the CYPMH Task Force report, Future in Mind, including the development of Local Transformation Plans for CYPMH.
Additional objectives of the project included:
- Helping to improve partnership working in CYPMH
- Improving community based outreach
- Reducing placement of children in inappropriate beds or far from their home
- Reducing waiting times
- Supporting planning and investment in services that will improve transition between children’s and young adult mental health services and,
- To help Health and Wellbeing boards review current provision across the pathway and plan to meet the needs of local children and young people across the whole health, social care and education system; and enable the modelling of evidence-based interventions.