We help make primary care sustainable at system, network or practice level by sharing our insight into national policy and recognised good practice and through our ability to conduct analysis into care, quality, activity levels, workforce planning, business planning and sustainability. We help with the following:
Creating at-scale solutions
Working at scale is about ensuring resilient services and operational excellence; helping everyone to focus on quality patient care.
Whatever the at-scale model, our approach is not an ‘off-the-shelf’ option but a bespoke solution informed and designed by customers with the benefit of their access to expert primary care, accountancy, legal and HR advice.
We developed our expertise through:
with several groups of practices to support the creation of primary care at-scale models through the development of new organisational forms. These
forms include Federations (companies limited by shares), super practices, and
- Enabling CCGs and NHS England to
commission confidently from General Practice by providing systematic due
diligence reviews of proposed new organisational forms and ensuring they
- Producing case studies to
support the implementation of new ways of working. Subjects range from
best practice for patient engagement, to benefits analysis of the Demand
and Capacity Programme, and the measurement of impact on GP capacity and
patient care of new models of care (such as the use of Clinical
Pharmacists in patient-facing roles in General Practice).
- Working with Health Education
England to assess the utilisation levels and impact of physiotherapists,
podiatrists and osteopaths as first point of contact in the MSK pathway to
develop a picture of future ambition, ROI and workforce
- Organisational design and
transformational support for practice mergers, at-scale provision, GP
Federations and Alliances.
- Identifying opportunities for
and implementing shared telephony, payroll, and appointment and practice
- Processes, tools and templates
to deliver operational efficiencies.
- Due diligence review of
- Primary and desk research,
including workforce and efficiency measures modelling.
- Population segmentation for future
commissioning and service planning.
- Clustering for practice
boundaries, registered population, demographic split, access to services.
- Developing clusters based not
simply on geography but also patient flow, history and aspiration.
- Working with General
Practice both individually and at a system level we create communities ready to
Primary Care Resilience and Sustainability
Our General Practice Resilience Programme supports practice leadership teams to baseline their current operating environment, develop a practice-level forward view and define an actionable plan.
The programme supports practices and system leaders to respond to the changing needs of local health and care systems and helps to avoid future vulnerability by understanding and planning for future change now.
Our primary care experts translate a wide range of data into practice insights, challenges and opportunities. We also deliver value for money and sustainable change initiatives through ongoing change management support and training.
- Identification of operational challenges and potential new ways of working.
- Workload modelling and monitoring.
- Data analysis, dashboards, templates and decision support tools.
- Digital implementation, including digital correspondence, appointment reminders, voice to text dictation, and online consultations.
- Online triage and remote consultation tools.
- Patient list validation, including mandatory annual requirements.
We offer extensive experience in analysing, interpreting and integrating information. This means we can help with discrete projects, such as associating cost to activities where data is not routinely available.
For example, we can provide an indicative cost for primary care activity, through to programme design and implementation of large-scale records sharing and interoperability projects. SCW is currently project managing records sharing and interoperability initiatives across a wide area, including Connected Care in Berkshire, Connecting Care in Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire and the Care and Health Information Exchange (formerly Hampshire Health Record) in Hampshire and Isle of Wight.
We can also support the development of new models, and transformation towards Integrated Care Systems, using our extensive expertise in analysing, presenting and interpreting population information.
We work with partners to add strength and depth to our offer including international experience and expertise from organisations such as the Dartmouth Institute. We have also worked with Johns Hopkins University, adapting, validating and improving a range of predictive algorithms for use on the UK population.
- Business Intelligence analysis of patient flows, out of hospital care pathways and social care.
- Enhanced pharmacy data.
- Predictive algorithms.
- CCG dashboards to show demographic activity and disease burden by practice.
- Programme management, design and delivery of interoperability and shared record solutions.
- Stakeholder and public engagement.
Operational support to transition to new ways of working.
Working with health and care organisations and the voluntary sector, we’ve been able to deploy a range of traditional and digital channels aimed at improving patient self-care, building resilient communities and enabling people to interact with healthcare services in a way that best suits their lifestyle and needs.
Our work includes initiatives to improve patient uptake of national tools, such as Patient Online, the development of local integrated patient portals, and enablers such as signposting apps, patient self-monitoring and online symptom checkers.
We also support the prevention agenda with social marketing campaigns for behaviour change, delivered by our Public Health Action team. Their recent work on smoking cessation has seen 200,000 fewer smokers and 400,000 more people chose to smoke outside their home to protect their children.
- Access to best practice information and signposting of services.
- Local solutions for patient monitoring, self-care and patient portals.
- Support to improve patient uptake of national tools such as Patient Online.
- Public health behaviour change campaigns.
We help CCGs and NHS England streamline functions such as the administration of payment processes including Dental performer payments and GP Appraiser payments, patient dispersal, mandatory annual reporting and patient list validation.
We are currently providing a rent review administration service for the CCGs across Thames Valley, covering 357 sites. We have worked with commissioners and practices in this geography to ensure that all outstanding and due rent reviews were commenced within 12 months of service delivery, ensuring NHS England and CCG commissioners understood and were able to manage the financial risk and impact of outstanding legacy reviews. We continue to provide this support to NHS England and delegated CCGs, offering a single point of contact for practices and district valuers.
- Ad hoc resources for surge capacity.
- IT solutions to streamline operations.
- Financial analysis and predictive modelling.
- List validation to support dispersals, dispensing lists, mergers or splits.
- Administering dental contractor payments.
- Managing foundation dentist expenses.
- GP Appraiser payments.
- Rent reviews.
- Enhanced service management.